Museums of Minnesota  
Search  
 
 

Museums of Minnesota

Museums of Minnesota

Charles H. Burwell House
13209 E. McGinty Road Minnetonka, MN 55345
Phone: 952-939-8207
Bookmark and Share

Opening Times:

The Burwell House is located at 13209 E. McGinty Road in Minnetonka. Parking is available on the grounds. The main floor of the house is handicapped accessible, and the entire house is air-conditioned. The house is open for tours on selected days from May through September each year.

Regular tour hours start in June and continue through August, with the house open Tuesdays from noon to 3 p.m., Saturdays from noon to 4 p.m., and Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m. The house is open in September on Saturdays, 12-4 p.m.

Special tours may also be scheduled for your group. Groups may include Girl Scouts, mom’s clubs, Red Hat groups, or any other organization that is interested in history!

For special tours, updated tour information, or more information about the Burwell site, please call 952.939.8219 or 952-939-8207 or contact lronbeck@eminnetonka.com or jlarson@eminnetonka.com.

Admissions:

Free, but donations are accepted.

Photograph Gallery:

Description:

The Charles Henry Burwell House, a Victorian home in the Italianate style, has been a long-recognized landmark in the city of Minnetonka. The property, with its house and buildings, provides a significant link to the early settlement years of the Minnetonka area. The natural resources of the site, abundant lumber and swiftly flowing stream spawned first a sawmill in 1853, which helped to build a town and establish an economy. Fires destroyed the first sawmill and a later sawmill with a furniture factory. A grist mill was built in 1869, and it is this mill that brought Charles Henry Burwell to Minnetonka in 1874.

Charles Burwell built his house in 1883 on the north bank of the mill pond. After Burwell's death in 1917, his wife, Mary Dunham Burwell, continued to reside in the house until her death in 1933. The property was inherited by daughter Louise, who never married and lived in the house until she sold it to the William Smith family in 1958. In 1970, the house was purchased by the city of Minnetonka. Recognized for its historical and architectural significance, the Charles H. Burwell property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

The home is fully furnished and interpreted to the year 1894, with furniture of the Eastlake style and many pieces that were originally owned by the Burwells. The majority of the furnishings are owned by the Minnetonka Historical Society and on loan for display in the house.

Make a Donation Museums of Minnesota is a co-production of
TPT MN (Twin Cities Public Television (MN))
and Back on the Mississippi, LLC.
© Back On The Mississippi, LLC - All Rights Reserved • 4769 Hauge Circle, Eagan, MN 55122
Know of a hidden treasure in Minnesota? Tel: (651)-686-0041 • Fax: (651)-452-3588
Twin Cities Public Television | Minnesota Channel Back on the Mississippi